The student news site of San Jacinto College

San Jacinto Times

San Jacinto Times

San Jacinto Times

Tales of Salem: Live at San Jacinto

The Fall performance of “The Crucible” will be held at San Jacinto College-South campus, October 19-29. The performance will be held in the theatre’s department Blackbox. Admission is free for all SJCD faculty, students, and staff. General admission to non SJCD students and faculty is $1.
“We always welcome anyone who’s interested in coming out for the play,” says Dr. Walker.
Auditions were open to the entire community to take part in this play as an actor or theatre technician.
“Theatre is a wonderful way to learn through play. Whether you are learning about history, literature, other cultures, or more about yourself,” says Dr. Jonelle Walker, Professor of Theatre and Film.
All cast and crew have been working since the first audition held on August 30th.
The play is partially fictional, written by Arthur Miller, and directed by MJ Emig. It is set in a seaside town of Massachusetts in 1962. It combats the Salem Witch trials and how the
witches were hunted down.
“A major goal is to represent the history of Salem & the Witch Trials accurately. To show how devastating and difficult they really were,” says Dr. Walker.
The play will take place in the Blackbox where a raked stage with distressed wood will be set up by the crew. There will be a panel that holds a fishing net to convey the seaside setting
of “The Crucible” and three different sides for the audience to be seated.
All productions at San Jac South are funded by the college. With support from Provost Dr. Aaron Knight and Dean of Liberal Arts, Dr. Kimberly DeLauro.
The Theatre department is ever growing and always seeking opportunities to expand in the community.
One of Dr. Walker’s goals for the theatre program is to eventually be able to participate in Theatre festivals or competitions.
“I hope we will participate in the regional American College Theatre Festival in the future once the program has grown a bit,” says Dr. Walker, “acting things out gives us a unique perspective on life.”
For more information on the theatre department at San Jac South and the upcoming Fall play of “The Crucible” email [email protected] or visit https://www.sanjac.edu/programs/areas-of-study/arts/theatre-film/south . For ticket purchases and times visit https://sjcstheatrefilm.ludus.com/index.ph