Small blaze erupts on North campus


Bradley Croman

Contrary to initial reports, the April 2 fire caused minimal damage.

A fire broke out during the morning hours of April 2 in the Northwest corner of the San Jacinto College North Campus Vocational Technology Welding building.

Despite initial reports the building was “engulfed in flames,” the fire was relatively small, North campus Interim Provost Bill Raffetto said. No one was injured, and damage was minimal in the short-lived blaze.

According to Raffetto, the fire resulted from a malfunction in a large portable fan. A student walking by the building saw flames in the window and alerted first responders. Shortly after the fire was extinguished, crews were on-scene to assess, clean up, and repair the damage.

“Most of the damage is from smoke and [firefighters’] water,” Raffetto said. “[First responders] were here very quickly to put the fire out…. They did a fantastic job.”

An SJC Alert distributed at approximately 7 a.m. indicated classes on North campus would be suspended until noon that day. Shortly thereafter, a second Alert announced the fire was extinguished and everyone should report to North campus as regularly scheduled.

Classes resumed in the welding building April 7.

– Bradley Croman