TACHE SJC students to attend Fort Worth conference

Five faculty and seven student members of the Texas Association of Chicanos in Higher Education (TACHE) San Jacinto College Student Chapter will attend the 39th Annual TACHE Conference taking place in Fort Worth Feb. 19 to 22.

Both TACHE and the Conference aim to promote shared success and prosperity among Hispanics through higher education.

Saul Zarco, Co-Representative of TACHE Gulf Coast Region said students attending the conference can expect to find a number of available resources.

“There will be student conference sessions, as well as networking opportunities with students from various Texas community colleges and universities,” Zarco said.

Furthermore, Adviser Dina Castillo said, “One of the topics that the TACHE-SJC Student Chapter students will be attending is Latino/a: Fraternities and Sororities Impact on College Retention and Graduation.”

The Conference will feature several notable speakers that support the organization’s objectives including Betsy Price, Mayor of Fort Worth, and Raymund Paredes, Commissioner of the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board.

“TACHE SJC Student Group’s goal,” Zarco said, “is to foster an understanding of the importance of higher education for advancement in one’s chosen profession.”

As a result, Castillo said, “TACHE offers the opportunity for students to become leaders in their community and within their families as well.”