Professor Chad Hines gets inside the heart of art

Photo credit: Jessica Warren

Left to right: Artist Chad Hines ad San Jac professors Todd Allison, MIchael Unger, and Daniel Longtin stand in front of one of the pieces from the exhibit.

Central Texas College professor and artist Chad Hines revealed the inspiration behind his artwork during an Artist Talk at San Jacinto College Central Campus’s art gallery Sept. 26.

Two major influences affecting his artwork are his family, and his experience installing floors in homes, Hines said. Initially, the artist saved left over material from work that he used for his pieces.

“I enjoy the format of the flat surface,” he said. I work intuitively, in a sense of where I don’t know exactly where I’m going when I start something,” the artist said.

Meanwhile, he said the artwork on display at San Jac, whether a drawing of his children or a woodwork piece, mostly draws from his personal life.

“(The artwork) has to do with the family in some sense. Little tidbits of just everything come from my parents’ house, or my grandparents’ house that I’ve seen growing up my entire life,” he said.

Although Hines knew he wanted to be an artist since he was a child, it took him longer than planned to get there.  “Being an artist has been a life long journey,” he said.

Hines is from Temple, Texas where he attended Temple Community College while working as a laborer. After that, he graduated from Stephen F. Austin State University in 2009 with a bachelor’s degree in studio art and a minor in printmaking.

Recently, Hines discovered the artist Whitfield Lovell to whom he feels a connection because of their mutual interest in working with wood.

“I respond a lot to more contemporary people…especially I’ve noticed a connection to some of my works from this artist,” he said.

Hines said his tool of choice in an angle grinder, which creates embedded lines in his woodwork pieces.  Every line has an ingrained thought to go with it.

“Thinking is an abstract thing. Thinking is connected to the brain and we have all these lines in our brain, and that is like information that is embedded in there,” he said.

The experiences and artwork Hines shared resonated with students at San Jac who appreciated the substance behind his work. Student Amanda Luse said, “I can tell there is a lot of meaning behind it. There are a lot of different stories.”