TACHE-SJC Student Chapter strives to improve opportunities, promote culture

Photo courtesy of TACHE-SJC Student Chapter

Dina Castillo and Saul Zarco (standing) are pictured with Club members on a field trip to the state Capitol.

The Texas Association of Chicanos in Higher Education Student Chapter at San Jacinto College (TACHE-SJC), along with the Behavioral and Social Sciences Department, sponsored a film screening of “Prejudice and Pride: The Chicano Movement” Oct. 9 at Central campus, followed by a Question and Answer session with the film’s director John J. Valadez.

The film details the Chicano Civil Rights Movement, known in Spanish as “El Movimiento,” and highlights the efforts of Latino activists who pushed for better educational opportunities, labor leaders that organized farm workers in California, and the empowerment of Latinos in the political process.

Dina Castillo, a government professor and the group’s advisor on Central campus, said TACHE is a statewide professional association committed to improving educational and employment opportunities for Hispanics in higher education. According to Castillo, San Jac’s chapter has a more specific focus.

“The TACHE-SJC Student Chapter is a student group designed to promote education of our culture concerning Hispanics, and to bring awareness of the Hispanic culture to students and faculty,” Castillo said.

Saul Zarco, an educational planner on Central campus and the Gulf Coast regional representative for TACHE said TACHE-SJC has an added goal of fostering student success. In support of that objective, the group provides advisors, mentors, and tutors to assist students with college life.

“Research shows,” Zarco said, “that students involved with campus activities do better academically”.

Castillo said the TACHE-SJC Student Chapter was founded during the Fall 2012 semester.

According to Zarco, students involved in TACHE-SJC were previously involved with the Latin-American Student Organization. Last year, a faction of the organization decided to start TACHE and approached the professional organization to approve their charter.

Although the TACHE-SJC Student Chapter is a registered Student Life organization at Central campus, Castillo said membership is open to students at all three campuses.

TACHE-SJC’s next meeting is scheduled for Nov. 22 at 12:30 p.m. in C3.209 and is open to all students enrolled in the College.

Zarco said students should expect to get to know everyone during the first meeting they attend. The group participates in campus events, fundraisers, and social activities aimed at team building as an initiative to further support student success.