San Jacinto Times

Get Lit! Festival Features Exploration Theme

In addition to space-themed activities, this year’s event highlights include a time machine, a Sherlock Holmes booth, and hair and makeup services provided by the cosmetology department.

Courtesy of Pixabay

Courtesy of Pixabay

The English faculty of San Jacinto College Central Campus is about to get lit… and it’s not the first time. Once again, the English department is hosting the annual Get Lit! festival, April 18, this time showcasing activities centered around the theme The Final Frontier? Exploration: Past, Present, and Future.

English Professor and event co-chair Robert Flynn said the group chose the exploration theme because the expansive period allows for the inclusion of a range of subjects and many academic disciplines.

“We focused on broadening it to include not just the frontier of space,” he said, “but ALL frontiers including medicine, education, technology, etc.”

Although the topic changes every year, last time it was Monsters and Madness, English Professor and co-chair Katherine Ryan said the organizers’ objective remains the same.

“Regardless of the theme, the name of the festival implies that the event as a whole is about Getting Literature! (Get Lit!),” she said.

Attendees can expect to encounter different booths offering food, refreshments, and exploration-centered activities aimed at getting students excited about literature and its history.

Flynn said this year’s highlights include a time machine presented by the Student Success Center, a Sherlock Holmes booth hosted by the criminal justice department, and a returning favorite, styling services provided by the cosmetology department.

“It should be fun to see what they come up with this year for makeup and hair,” he added.

Also, for the first time, the festival will host the Give Lit Book Swap. Ryan said students and faculty are encouraged to drop off unwanted books where they will be left for attendees to take home free of charge. Leftover books will be donated to institutions impacted by Hurricane Harvey like the Houston Public Library system.

Flynn said the English faculty already donated several shelves full of books and hopes visitors will find a copy or two that “catches their eye.”

He added, “If there’s one thing we’re good for here at the English department, it’s having loads of extra books sitting around.”

Get Lit! The Final Frontier? Exploration: Past, Present, and Future takes place between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. on April 18 in the Student Center (C14) on the Central Campus.