Annual Get Lit! Fest Rocks ‘Rulers and Royalty’ Theme

Ahoy+matey%21+Students+take+a+break+from+manning+a+pirate-themed+booth+during+last+year%E2%80%99s+literary+showcase+dedicated+to+heroes+and+villains.+The+2016+festival+takes+place+April+26+in+the+Student+Center+%28C14%29+on+the+Central+campus.++

Courtesy of William Wolfe

Ahoy matey! Students take a break from manning a pirate-themed booth during last year’s literary showcase dedicated to heroes and villains. The 2016 festival takes place April 26 in the Student Center (C14) on the Central campus.

The English Department of San Jacinto College Central Campus will host Get Lit! April 26, a yearly campus-wide event aimed at encouraging students to read and take literature courses by showcasing the literary arts.

English professor and festival organizer William Wolfe said, “It brings together students and faculty from various departments to celebrate the artistic expression of the written word.”

Every year the event has a different theme. Last year’s festival featured Heroes and Villains, but this year the focus will be Royalty and Rulers. Visitors can expect to see entertainment, food fit for kings, readings, and a number of booths offering a range of interactive activities.

Wolfe said he hopes students will leave Get Lit! with more than a few snacks in between classes, adding, he believes the event provides an opportunity typically missing from two-year institutions.

“A festival of this magnitude, with this kind of interdisciplinary cooperation, offers students a ‘traditional’ collegiate experience,” he said.

Moreover, Wolfe noted, students are not the only ones benefiting from the festival, he thinks it is an important experience for faculty as well.

“My favorite thing about this event is that it opens students to new ideas and experiences and fosters collaboration between students and faculty,” he said.

Furthermore, Wolfe said that in addition to gaining a greater appreciation for literature, he hopes festival attendees see its significance on a much broader scale.

“Our students live in a technological and digital world that encourages science, mathematics, and engineering,” Wolfe said. “This is one small way of reminding students that literature plays an important part in our cultural awareness and identity.”

Get Lit! takes place April 26 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Student Center (C14) on the Central campus. It is open to the public, and there is no charge for admission.