The student news site of San Jacinto College

San Jacinto Times

Filed under Sports and Fitness

Ravens Basketball Kicks off Season with Win Over Lone Star-Cy Fair

San Jacinto College Men’s Basketball kicked off the season on a high note Nov. 1 in a showdown against Lone Star College-Cy Fair. The Ravens beat the Fighting Ducks in the season opener 104-73.

Head Coach Scott Gernander, now in his fifth year with San Jac, has enjoyed much success during his tenure with the College, including a conference championship and a trip to the national tournament two years ago, yet he recorded his worst season helming the Ravens last year with a 22-10 record.

However, the coach said he has high hopes for a comeback this season noting a few significant differences between the previous team and his current roster.

“We have more depth this year,” he said, “This year, our guard play is going to be really strong.”

One of those Guards is returning sophomore Corey Davis, who said he is directing his energy toward getting his teammates to play as a cohesive unit.

“I am focusing on getting us to play as a team,” Davis said. “To come together and have chemistry on the court is my biggest goal.”

On the other hand, freshman Guard Tay Hady said he is working to improve on the defensive end.

“I want to get better playing defensive because that just helps the whole team out and makes everything easier for them if I hustle more,” Hady said.

Gernander said he feels this team has the potential to stand out and reverse the momentum from last season.

“We are a hungry team. We want the ball… We want the win,” he said.

Meanwhile, Gernander is cautiously optimistic as he looks toward the team’s upcoming matches in Lewisville and Ranger, and when they return to play Victoria College and Temple College after four games on the road.

“Temple has played a very fast-paced offense in the past,” he said, “We have to be ready for that, and I think our defense can match.”

San Jacinto College’s next home games are scheduled against Victoria College at 7 p.m. on Nov. 11, and Temple College at 6 p.m. on Nov.15. Home games take place in Anders Gymnasium (C18) on the Central Campus.